The FNRS mobility instruments enable a researcher from the Wallonia-Brussels Federation, under certain conditions, to go abroad during his contract (OUT mobility), or foreign researchers to go on stays of a limited duration in the Wallonia-Brussels Federation (IN mobility).
Aid for participation in a congress outside of Belgium is presented in the classic financial instruments.
The regulations and forms are available for download below. They should then be returned to the FNRS within the specified timeframe.
Researcher mobility under the FNRS mandate (OUT)
- People concerned: researchers financed by an FNRS mandate.
- Object: a researcher under an FNRS mandate, whatever stage of his career, can ask to carry out part of his mandate in a foreign laboratory, if that is in the interests of his research project.
- Procedure: contact the personnel department of the F.R.S.-FNRS.
- Documents: regulations
Credit for short stay abroad (OUT)
- People concerned: researchers from the Wallonia-Brussels Federation.
- Object: a high level researcher who wants to go abroad, for example in order to acquire fresh knowledge within a colleague's laboratory, can receive financial aid for a stay of a maximum duration of two months.
- Procedure: submit the request 2 months before the date of a stay in Europe, 3 months before that of a stay outside of Europe.
Grant for a scientific stay (IN and OUT)
- People concerned: researchers from the Wallonia-Brussels Federation participating in a programme financed by the FNRS or one of its Associated Funds; foreign researchers visiting a laboratory financed by the FNRS or one of its Associated Funds.
- Object: this instrument enables the researcher to stay abroad for between 1 and 3 months, with two options for renewal. Foreign researchers can also work in a laboratory financed by the FNRS or one of its associated Funds.
- Procedure: submit a request 2 months before the date of the stay.
Scientific mission (IN and OUT)
- People concerned: Permanent university researchers from the Wallonia-Brussels Federation, as defined in the regulations; Permanent foreign researchers occupying an equivalent position, invited to stay in a university belonging to the Wallonia-Brussels Federation.
- Object: a permanent university researcher from the Wallonia-Brussels Federation can get out of any pedagogical obligation, for a maximum duration of 12 months, non-renewable, to devote himself full time to research with the option of carrying out at least part of this abroad. The FNRS can also grant a mission to a permanent foreign researcher invited to stay in a university which is part of the Wallonia-Brussels Federation.
- Procedure: requests should be submitted before 1st March of the academic year which precedes any leave of absence, via the interested Belgian academic authority (education authority). An evaluation of the costs and a classification should be carried out by the FWB university, it is essential that the deadline fixed within each institution is respected for the internal registration of dossiers and that the Research Department is contacted in order to see the conditions which should be respected.
- Documents : regulations
Collaboration with Germany: Alexander von Humboldt Award (IN)
- Every two years the Alexander von Humboldt (AvH) Foundation and the Fund for Scientific Research – FNRS award the "Alexander von Humboldt Award", to two scientists; one from a university institution of the Wallonia-Brussels Federation and the other, to a German. This Prize is exclusively awarded to experienced researchers of international renown for their published scientific works. At the same time, the goal of this Prize is to promote scientific cooperation between Germany and the Wallonia-Brussels Federation. The Prize enables prize winners from the Wallonia-Brussels Federation and Germans to carry out, over a long period, the research works of their choice, respectively with scientific institutes from Germany and the Wallonia-Brussels Federation.
- Document : regulations
- Personnes concernées : doctorants (MA ou MSc + 4 ans maximum) affiliés à une université belge.
- Objet : cet instrument permet d’effectuer un séjour de recherche de 6 ou 12 mois dans un institut de recherche durant l’année académique 2017-2018.
- Destinations éligibles : Toutes les destinations sont éligibles.
- Documents: regulations and form
- Plateforme pour l’éducation et le talent www.sofinaboel.be